LARC RODENT SHIPMENTS:
- Reminder: Researchers can check the UCSF Mouse Inventory Database for needed strains before ordering from approved vendors or other sources.
- Please complete import request form on RIO
IMPORTING RODENTS TO UCSF FROM APPROVED VENDORS:
If you are acquiring animals from an Approved Vendor, you should follow the LARC Acquisition Policy And Procedures.
- If you have a question as to whether your source is an Approved Vendor, you may contact the EVC&P’s Business Service Center at [email protected] before placing your order.
IMPORTING RODENTS TO UCSF FROM SOURCES OTHER THAN APPROVED VENDORS
Summary of Import Procedure:
- The Rodents from Sources that are not Approved Vendors must undergo a period of quarantine and testing before being admitted to the UCSF barriers.
- The current period of Incoming Rodent Quarantine is 9 weeks. Breeding and experimental manipulations are not permitted during quarantine.
- Please plan your imports accordingly.
- Click here for details on the Incoming Rodent Quarantine program. All requests are handled in the order in which they are received.
Procedure for Importing Rodent to UCSF:
- You must have an IACUC approved protocol under which these animals will be studied.
- You must have previously approved space for housing the rodents.
- You must have a LARC bill code linked to your chart of accounts.
- Complete the Import or Collaboration request online through RIO.
- The receiving institution should provide you with their contact information for the request form
- The Rodent Shipment team will contact the outside (shipping) institution and request appropriate health reports and documentation.
- On occasion, the outside (shipping) institution may not furnish the requested information, or further clarification may be requested by UCSF. Please note that this may delay processing.
- The health reports will be reviewed by a LARC veterinarian for appropriate disposition:
- Approved animals will be allowed to enter UCSF after appropriate period of Incoming Rodent Quarantine.
- At the end of the quarantine period the animals will be transferred by LARC staff to the UCSF barrier facility/room indicated on the import request.
- The LARC shipping coordinator will notify the UCSF lab of the transfer via email.
- Animals from infected colonies may be accepted for rederivation only.
- The UCSF importing lab must make arrangements for rederivation. See Rederivation Core for details.
- If animals may not meet UCSF health standard for import the UCSF lab will be notified by email.
- ONLY LARC VETERINARIANS & THE RODENT SHIPMENT TEAM CAN APPROVE SHIPMENTS. ANIMALS THAT ARRIVE WITHOUT APPROVAL CANNOT BE ACCEPTED AND WILL BE RETURNED, EUTHANIZED, OR SENT TO MCB FOR REDERIVATION.
Summary of Lab Responsibilities for Animal Import:
1. Submit an Import or Collaboration request online through RIO.
2. UCSF receiving PI is responsible for obtaining any required United States importation permits.
3. If large shipment, LARC staff prefers researcher presence for receiving and caging the animals.
4. If animals are in quarantine, Laboratory members are still responsible for tending to health checks.
Note: Laboratory members are responsible for advance notification if animals are BSL II classification.
- Animal Arrival:
To the Lab Contacts and the Investigator:
Within 2 days of arrival please check on your animals and report any discrepancy to the EVC&P’s Business Service Center ([email protected]) or contact a rodent vet nurse. In the event of a discrepancy, a credit request must be submitted to the EVC&P’s Business Service Center via email within 3 days of the animal’s arrival at UCSF.
Examples of discrepancies include: incorrect gender, incorrect age, incorrect gestation, injuries, illness and deceased animals.